A jury verdict released in 2017 in MIRANDA BILETSKI v. University of Regina & Regina Piranhas Summer Swim Club Inc. was rendered in favour of the plaintiff, Miranda Biletski, with liability found against the University of Regina. The jury awarded Ms. Biletski more than $9 million in damages, of which the large majority consisted of pecuniary damages: $6,224,584 for cost of care, plus $250,000 for residence modifications; $1,512,000 for loss of income; and $879,000 for loss of marriage/interdependence benefits. Alan McIntyre, QC of McKercher LLP law firm represented Ms. Biletski. Ms. Brown testified for the plaintiff in this jury trial in Regina. Ms. Biletski was also awarded non-pecuniary damages for pain and suffering equal to $295,000. Further damages for a tax gross-up (to be calculated by Brown Economic) is to be added, plus interest to the plaintiff's total money damages.
Order Canada Law Book's Damages: Estimating Pecuniary Loss, release #22 (November 2017)
Economic Loss Calculators
Brown Economic Consulting offers 5 easy-to-use economic loss calculators for
quick, accurate, cost-effective damage estimates:
- Non-Pecuniary (free)
- Working Life/Life Expectancy (free)
- Present Value (free)
- Housekeeping (pay per use)
- Income Damages (pay per use)
» News and Updates
» Subscribe to our Newsletter
» FATALITY CASES - Quantum Overview
» CSD/PALS/HALS Analyses1
» Checklists & Diaries
Brown Economic Consulting quantifies economic damages relating to loss of income, cost of care and loss of housekeeping capacity that occur due to personal injury or wrongful death.Quick Facts
- The CBA's New Brunswick branch has donated funds to the Canadian Bar Law for the Future Fund (LFFF) in recognition of Ms. Brown's legal education services to New Brunswick's Spring 2013 Program.
- Cara Brown attended the University of Calgary's Master of Arts (economics) program with Canada's former Prime Minister, Stephen Harper. Ms. Brown visited with Prime Minister Harper and other University of Calgary alumni at an exclusive luncheon of his classmates in Calgary on July 9, 2012.
- Brown Economic Consulting was profiled in the Calgary Herald on March 22, 2010.
- Cara Brown was profiled in Royal Bank Of Canada's Champions newsletter, fall 2004.
- Brown Economic Consulting was nominated for the Calgary Chamber Of Commerce Small Business Of The Year Award, 2002 .